How To Remove Cigarette Odor At Home
Here's a scenario: You just bought a house (congratulations!) but the only downfall is that the previous owner was an avid smoker. The entire house smells like cigarettes and the windows and walls have a thin layer of soot coating them. You aren't able to get a professional cleaning crew to tackle the residue before you officially move in which means that this project has now become a DIY. What should you do? Well, here are a few things that you can do to help eliminate that stingy odor.
- Fresh air
- When you walk into your new home and are hit with the overwhelming scent of cigarettes, I’m sure the first thing you would do is open a few windows. Fresh air will eventually rid the odor from the house.
- White vinegar
- Vinegar is a cleaning agent that can cut through odors naturally. Try leaving a few small bowls of vinegar in the most fragrant rooms to absorb the odors. Also be sure to wipe or spray down all of the furniture, walls, and floors with this agent 5-7 times per week. If you can’t stand the smell of vinegar, try adding some lavender essential oil to the mix.
- Baking soda
- Baking soda is also an all natural odor absorbent. Sprinkle this on cloth furniture, carpet, rugs, curtains, or any other fabric material, allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes, and then wipe or vacuum away. Leaving a few bowls of baking soda lying around will also absorb some of the odor. Be sure to not allow any baking soda to mix with the vinegar though as it will create a chemical reaction.
- Clean your air ducts and replace the filters
- Cigarette smells can stick to air ducts and be blown throughout your house. This means that even if you clean your house top to bottom, it won't do any good if the air ducts and filters are still hoarding that odor.
These methods will all take time. Unfortunately, cigarette odor is not a scent that can be quickly or easily eliminated. Of course, if none of these odor removal methods prove to be successful, searching for professional help may be the only option.
If you find yourself in need of professional odor removal, SERVPRO of Parker and Northeast Hood Counties is here to help! We have the highest quality products and equipment that will cut through almost any smell. We are available 24/7 at 817-596-8714.